What are cookies?
Cookies are files which can be downloaded onto your computer via websites. They are tools which play an essential role in providing numerous information society services. Among other functions, they allow a website to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of users or their computers, and depending on the information obtained can be used to recognise users and enhance the service offered.
Types of cookie
Depending on the entity which administers the domain from which the cookies are sent, and which processes the data obtained, they may be divided into two types:
- First-party cookies: those sent to the user’s device from a device or domain managed by the publisher of the Website and used to provide the service requested by the user.
- Third-party cookies: those sent to the user’s device from a device or domain not managed by the publisher, but by another entity which processes the data obtained by means of cookies.
In the case of cookies installed from equipment or a domain managed by the publisher itself, but where the information that is gathered by the cookies is managed by a third party, the cookies may not be considered to be first-party.
There is also a second classification depending on how long the cookies are stored in the client’s browser, which may be:
- Session cookies: designed to gather and store data while the user accesses a website. Typically used to store information which is to be retained only for provision of the service requested by the user on one single occasion (e.g. a list of products acquired).
- Persistent cookies: the data are stored on the terminal and may be accessed and processed for a duration defined by the cookie controller, which may range from a number of minutes to several years.
There is lastly another classification into five types of cookie depending on the purpose for which the data obtained are used:
- Technical cookies: these let the User browse a website, platform or app and use the different options or services that they contain such as, for example, to control data traffic and communication, identify sessions, provide access to restricted access sections, remember the items in an order, perform the order purchase process, enable a request to sign up to or engage in an event, use security elements during browsing, store content for video or sound broadcasting or to share content on social media networks.
- Customisation cookies: they let the User access a service with certain predefined general features depending on a series of criteria in your terminal such as, for example, the language, the browser type used to access the service, the regional configuration or settings from where the service is accessed, etc.
- Analytical cookies: to enable their controller to track, record and analyse the behaviour of users of the websites to which they are linked The information gathered by this type cookie is used for the measurement of activity on the websites, application or platform, and for the generation of the browsing profiles of the users of such sites, applications and platforms, in order to make improvements in accordance with the analysis of the data on usage made by users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: allowing the most effective management possible of advertising spaces.
- Behavioural advertising cookies: they store information on user behaviour obtained through the ongoing observation of the user’s browsing habits, making it possible to develop a specific profile to display advertising in accordance with the profile.
Deactivation and deletion of cookies
You have the option of allowing, blocking or deleting the cookies installed on your device by changing the settings of the browser you have installed. If cookies are disabled, some of the available services could become inoperative. The method for disabling cookies is different for each browser, but this can normally be done via the Tools or Options menu. You may also consult the browser’s Help menu to find instructions. Users may at any time choose which cookies they wish to allow to function on this website.
You can enable, block or delete the cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on it:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-es/windows-vista/Block-or-allow-cookies
- Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/impedir-que-los-sitios-web-guarden-sus-preferencia
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=es
- Safari: http://safari.helpmax.net/es/privacidad-y-seguridad/como-gestionar-las-cookies/
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Linux/10.60/es-ES/cookies.html
You may also manage the storage of cookies in your browser by means of tools such as the following:
- Ghostery: www.ghostery.com/
- Your online choices: www.youronlinechoices.com/es/
Cookies used at www.emkamf.es
The following actions may be taken in response to this information:
- Understand cookies. The notice will no longer be displayed when accessing any page of the portal during the current session.
- Modify your settings. With the information that we provide on how to do it in the different browsers.